Picture it, we drove away from our house at 9AM packed to the gills in Grandpa's Expedition. (I kept saying how I wanted to take a picture of the car from the outside because we had extended storage hanging off the back I but never did.) Grandpa was driving, Daddy was riding shotgun, Emily was behind Grandpa, Mama was in the "hump" seat (middle), Nana was pressed up against the window, and Great Grandma Velda was in the economy seats, aka third row. Yes folks, there were 5 adults, one enormous carseat, and a carload of stuff. I will help you picture it...
Now that I look at it we don't look so cramped...at least not for only a 6 hour drive. ;)
For the first hour we were happily driving along, doing a crossword, and chatting before we made a stop to stretch our legs...
then we were back in the car for another hour on our way to lunch. Emily needed some entertainment at this point, so I set up her private Nemo viewing area. As the only rear facing person, she was the only one to enjoy the movie.
We stopped for a quick bite to eat (too bad the waiter didn't get the "quick" memo)...
and when we got back in the car the REAL fun began - stopped TRAFFIC! Of course it was about 30 minutes after Emily fell asleep and as feared, she woke up. Bummer! Good thing Daddy and Grandpa figured out an alternate route - so even if she wasn't sleeping at least we were moving! We didn't see a highway again for a LOOONG time. However, we did see a lot of this...
We also saw many historical markers like this...
We had a lot of bonding time together along the Chisholm Trail - laughing all the way. You know the kid of laughter that you have just to keep from crying?! :) I thought it was a good time for some more pictures...
as you can see, there weren't very many participants by this point -but Emily was ready to smile!
In the delirium we made some guesses at what time we would finally arrive. When Great Grandma made her guess we were all sick thinking, "I HOPE she isn't right!!" Guess what... she was. We arrived right at 6:00 and in all of the excitement I didn't get an arrival picture - DARN! We were out of the car as fast as possible and Emily was REALLY excited to get out and play with her cousins!!
So, now it is Thanksgiving day and we are all thankful to BE HERE! ;) We are also thankful for much, much more - yesterday's trip included... after all, life is made of memories!
We only wonder... how long was the back-up on the freeway?
Oh dear that does NOT sound like a fun trip!! Hopefully Emily didn't throw a fit, I can't imagine that she would anyway. :) I wish you a MUCH quicker trip home. And Happy Turkey Day.
ReplyDeleteOh, wow -- what an adventure. I think Mom, Dad, Grandma Velda, Nana, Grandpa get kudos for making the drive with a toddler in the car! I am impressed!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a trip! We only had to go 25 minutes to get to our Thanksgiving Day celebration. I know it was worth the trip and I wish you a much easier drive home...
ReplyDeleteNow that's a trip! Good thing you came prepared. Looks like the portable DVD player came in handy. Love the pic of you, giving a dying look with the sun setting behind you.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jenn! What a difference a little DVD player can make though! Congrats to all! Thanksgiving road trips can be harrowing! Love the picture of Emily with Nana and Great Gramma walking to lunch! SO CUTE! You knew I would though!
ReplyDeleteHappy(Chisolm)Trails to y'all!
Love ~mimi
Wow, what a road trip is right! It took us about 4 hours to get up to see Robert and only 2 hours to get home! Glad that all of you had a wonderful visit. As always, great pictures!
ReplyDeleteLove, Aunt Carolyn
I love this post - looks like great family time, and Emily looks like such a trooper.
ReplyDeleteWhat a drive, yuck! and you guys were packed into that car! I'm sure we passed you guys because we were leaving FROM Kansas TO Texas on Wed and saw that HUGE back up. It was backed up going our way we thought fairly long, but then as we saw your side.... wow. We stopped at a rest stop and everyone in the ladies line was dancing away because it took them so long in the car. One person said it should have taken them 45 minutes and it was over 3 hours. Ahhh! I was SO happy we didn't have to sit in that since Jackson has to eat so often! If it makes you feel any better, on the way home it was supposed to take us 7 1/2 hours and it took us almost 12. Love the minivan in those situations!! :)
ReplyDelete