.

Changes coming... see new posts below
and then follow me...
^that is a link

Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Birthday

Yesterday, as we all know, was Super Bowl Sunday - but it also happened to be the Sunday before Daddy's birthday! So I decided that since Daddy's birthday is on a Tuesday we would celebrate him and the Super Bowl together. When Emily woke up and I reminded her that we had some things to do to get ready for Daddy's party she was pretty excited. She said, "I gonna hold this balloon up and sing, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you..."
Yes, that is a part of her circus hat. :)
First thing on the agenda... Daddy's cake! An ice cream cake! Emily was a little excited.
Okay, she was VERY excited!!
She helped me put the cookies in to be "crumbed"...
and had a very strategic plan of placement.
Which, in the end, worked just fine.
As I was spreading the crumbs along the bottom of the pan Emily said to me, "Mama, I could level it. Can I help you?" I was a little surprised that she had a good enough understanding of "leveling" from other projects (leveling ingredients in a dry measuring cup) that she was able to recognize that that is just what I was doing. Of course I let her help.
She also helped taste test the ice cream...
but since I wanted it to soften some more we moved on to the seven layer dip complete with guacamole - which means we needed avocado...
and lemon.

During the smashing Emily decided that she would help with her own fork.
Once the whole dip was complete it was time to go back to the cake and put in the ice cream.
Emily threatened to grab a cookie out of the cookies 'n cream layer...
and was allowed a taste of the mint chocolate chip layer.
But she did threaten an extra spoonful when it was all finished...
so I quickly wrapped up the cake, threw it in the freezer and moved on to something a little less tempting... jalapeno poppers!
Emily would, of course, never eat them but she was a good helper.

Throughout our work in the morning Daddy was at the office and just as promised, he was home when Emily woke up from nap. She was happy to show him the balloons she picked out for him - our favorite colors.
Then she sat down with him to drink some "Bongo" and watch the pre-game.
She seemed to really be enjoying hanging out and watching with Daddy...
just like in 2009.
Daddy wondered aloud how long it would last.
Fifteen minutes later (game JUST beginning) she was ready to play...

also, just like in 2009.
That's when I got out the supplies to make her Valentine cards for her new class. She helped me trace,
write,
glue, glitter, and lend me support in general.

When those were finished it was time for the dance portion of the party! (Emily had some pretty interesting dance requests.)
During the second half, while I made enchiladas for dinner, Emily "watched" the game with Daddy and practiced her balance. Who knows why she dreamed this up... maybe because she was a tightrope walker the day before?
Luckily we are on the west coast, so when the game ended it was late for Emily but not too late. We were able to save the best part of the party - cake!
Emily was a little excited.
Okay, Emily was VERY excited!!!
But she was still willing to share some with her favorite birthday guy.
At bed time Emily declared it "the best birthday party ever!" Happy birthday celebration day, Daddy!

13 comments:

  1. I suppose you had a tough time keeping Emily from eating that whole avocado, huh? Cute pictures of her watching the game with Daddy, love the flashbacks to her first SuperBowl! BIG BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY Pauly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Paul! Looks like it was a day of good food and your favorite people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any cake left over?? What a wonderful celebration, Paul - created with love by your two best girls & Bittwo! Happy birthday, Paul and well done, Emily and Mama. AND Valentine's cards??? Where does all this energy come from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you cook with Emily! I love her expressions--so serious, so focused--when she's "cooking!" You made an ice cream cake? Please tell me how!! Valentine Day cards are cute also! :) Happy Birthday Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to you, Paul! You are the best Daddy and completely deserved this great party! I love all the preparations that went into making your celebration, especially the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to celebrate Daddy's birthday! Happy Birthday Paul!
    Love, Aunt Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily you are a great helper! I bet your daddy loved his cake. Happy Birthday to Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that food is making me hungry! Love the pics from past Super Bowls too! Cute!! Happy birthday Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the "now & then" pictures.
    Way to go leveling those cookies crumbs, Emily! That cake looks YUMMY! Happy Birthday, Paul! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMMMM Homemade ice cream cake! Yum! Cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, what an awesome wife you are, all the homemade treats! What a fun b-day you had for Paul! Emily was a great helper, and I love all the pictures. Especially the "excited" pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, Paul! You made dip, dinner, and dessert!!! Geez - it makes me rethink what I was going to do for Tom and his birthday! :) Miss you guys!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I end up being behind by two posts? Happy Birthday to my "baby boy" and his two(three?) best girls? Wish I could have been there! Much love...

    Nana/Mom/Mil

    ReplyDelete