On June 10th I joined Emily in the backyard and found her messing around with a bee. This bee was on the ground, not easily flying away, and Emily was touching him with a leaf and such. I reminded her that we shouldn't play with bees but she had some explanation for why she needed to do it - she always does after all! Anyway, it wasn't long before I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye. The bee had flown away but hadn't saved himself... he was stuck in a spider's web! I pointed it out to Emily and while we watched, the spider came down to greet the bee and started wrapping him up. So, it was the perfect time to talk to Emily about spiders, the purpose of their webs, and what they eat. I couldn't have planned it better, after wrapping the bee's body a few times the spider started to pull the bee back to his "kitchen" - a safe and secure spot under the water table.
Monday, June 20, 2011
More Science In Our Own Backyard
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Another great science lesson! The size of that spider would have me headed for the hills!!!
ReplyDeleteUmmmm, yuck???!?!?!?
ReplyDelete:( ~mimi
Ditto, Erin! Arachnophobia here. But again...you have a little scientist on your hands there!!
ReplyDeleteBoy, backyard science is the best! You sure have had some interesting opportunities for learning. I wouldn't have gotten that close the the spider/bee. Yuck!
ReplyDelete