.

Changes coming... see new posts below
and then follow me...
^that is a link

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Picking We Will Go...

On Tuesday, Emily had her second field trip for school. This time it was to a farm! Luckily for me, Mimi had arrived to help with mission "Keep Bittwo In" so she was able to come along too.
After waiting for our group to gather, we were off on our tour of the farm.


Along the way, our guide let us sample several different things that are growing right now. Like, green onion...
baby bok choy,
broccoli (our driver would just go gather it straight out of the field - organic farm, safe to eat immediately),
carrots,

and celery.
We were all enjoying our samples...
well, except for Emily. She was trying to enjoy the beauty and shut out the vegetable offers.
Even with her friends chowing down she felt no need to partake.
Eventually we came to our final destination... the strawberry field!
We learned about the different parts of the plant, their purpose, and how to properly harvest our own.
Emily was an official "picker" so she received a container in which to collect strawberries.
Then our class (plus others on our tour) set out to pick strawberries!
Emily was all about picking them...

and Mimi and I were all about eating them!! (we could eat as many as we were able during our time in the field)
We did get Emily to lick one... several times... but she wouldn't concede that she liked it even a little.

Because strawberries can be messy, I saved a shirt for photo ops after the picking was complete.



We had great fun and were totally exhausted by the time we left... or that could have just been me.
That night, as a special treat, Mimi made strawberry shortcake for dessert with Emily's freshly picked strawberries!
I had high hopes that a few strawberries would sneak in while hidden in some whipped cream but no such luck. Emily went straight for the fluffy white goodness...
and with surgical precision...
ate all of the whipped cream and no strawberries.
Oh well.

5 comments:

  1. I love that place -- so glad you got to taste the strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful farm! A great trip for everyone, especially topping off the day with strawberry shortcake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous field trip - I wish we had a farm like that nearby! I'm confused - is this the school where you moms kind of have your own class - while the kids are nearby in their own class? I know you have tried so many things...I wasn't sure which school this was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost Aunt JackieApril 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM

    That looks like too much fun! Those strawberries look YUM and so does that shortcake! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That farm looks like a blast! And so gorgeous! I was sure that Emily would not try the veggies but the girl actually turned down strawberries, too? So silly! Oh well is right, Mama. Maybe one day...

    P.S. So glad the Mimi came to the rescue last week. "Operation Keep Bittwo In" needs all the help it can get :)

    ReplyDelete