Okay, so back when I posted about the caterpillar transformation several people were interested in knowing what kind of bug it was! And I tried to answer the question. I even posted my pictures on a bug identification blog (really). Well, NO ONE asked me about the spider! Remember this guy girl?!

The one Emily stuck her face next to?

Well, yesterday we peeked in on her and she had a HUGE egg sac!

I showed Emily and thought, "that's pretty cool, Emily might get to see all of the spiderlings!" The mama was pretty lethargic, seeming close to death, which intrigued me. I mean, we have all read Charlotte's Web but I was curious, do all spiders die after laying eggs? I looked it up and no, some are eaten by their spiderlings when hatched, and some live on. Regardless, I continued my research because I wanted to make sure that was indeed an egg sac. Well, when I googled "spider egg sac..." it offered the ending "with spikes." Interesting, that's just what I was going to type! I guess it IS an egg sac! Yes, an egg sac for a BROWN WIDOW SPIDER!!!!! AAAAHHHH!!! In truth, I had seen something orange and hourglass like, on the belly of the spider and even shared that picture on the blog...

But, the spider was brown, not black and the hourglass was orange, not red. I left it alone - ignored it. I didn't know there was such a spider as a brown widow. Now I did know and it was time to get her OUT of my yard! I grabbed a Ziploc bag, my gardening gloves, a bubble wand, my camera (OF COURSE), and said a little prayer that the egg sac would still be intact. Phew, it was! Both of them...

overnight our "near death" spider added a second sac! (potentially multiple thousands of babies)
I did not have an assistant to take pictures but the first thing I did was get mama out. A little hairy but not bad. Then, I went in for the two egg sacs. I said another prayer that they wouldn't rupture. I don't know how long the incubation period is on these things nor how long the first one has been there! Thankfully, they didn't tear and after just a couple minutes I had everyone in my bag.

Mama was kinda ticked off!

But I made her lay down to get a clear shot of her belly.

And now they are all double bagged and in the backyard.

Waiting. For what, I don't know.
So, I ask you all. Who cares about that silly little caterpillar/bug?! Unless... Nah. I don't think I better research that one. Surely the bug man from the ID blog will contact me if I should be worried.
Ahhhhh! Run for the hills! I think you should say good-bye to Miss Spider and her egg sacks pronto! Do not let them hatch! Emily will understand that the spider had to "move." Good Lord, I think I'm going to pass out.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Mommy, you are VERY brave to pick up the spider and eggs by yourself. It it were me, I would have waited for Daddy to get home.
YIKES!!!! Good save mama!
ReplyDeleteWow - you are SO brave! Thank goodness for the internet!!
ReplyDeleteWHAT!?!? Ok seriously, I thought you were INSANE for finding that nasty spider so interesting but now I KNOW you are insane for actually handling it on your own!!! I am in awe by you! Crazy but brave!
ReplyDeleteWow, that was quite the post. Glad everyone is okay and the horrible spider and her sacs are gone. You were very brave Allison.
ReplyDeleteLove, Aunt Carolyn
Ok, so it's been a day now- what has become of this?? I had never heard of the brown widow, thanks for giving me something else to worry about...
ReplyDelete