.

Changes coming... see new posts below
and then follow me...
^that is a link

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Homeward Bound

So, that night in Tucson Emily was asleep around 9PM.  I wish we had followed much closer behind because she woke up on Texas time (the day before we were in TX after all) but with the two hour time change it was only 3AM.  BRUTAL!  We tried to get her back to sleep but it didn't work out so she hung out in our bed "trying to sleep" for a while but eventually watched a couple of shows before it was light enough outside to explore before breakfast.
Unfortunately, breakfast was not very relaxing since our two year old was functioning on 6 hours of sleep!!  Plus, Paul called the moving company (since we hadn't heard anything about our truck) only to find out that our things would not be delivered during our promised delivery period - Wed. to Fri. - but, instead, would be arriving the following Monday or Tuesday.  Not great!  There was nothing we could do about that though, Paul tried, so I decided that the one thing we could deal with was the whiny, overtired two year old.  Getting outside and burning some energy before buckling back in the car again was a MUST.  So, with her bathing suit neatly packed away for the road I did what any parent would do - stripped her down and encouraged her to play "naked" in the fountain.




It worked... that day Emily slept for 2 hours in the car!!!!  A new record! 
She only awoke when we crossed the border at 12:15 and had our trailer checked.
Everyone had been waiting for her to wake up but didn't dare interrupt so at our first opportunity we stopped for some lunch.  Lucky us, there was an In-N-Out!!!
Emily stuck with her old fave though.
It was smooth sailing up from the south and through the mountains (even though it seemed to take forever, as it always does when you are near the end) and at 5:01PM we saw our off ramp!!!
Paul thought that was a good time to open the sunroof and let in the cool air and California sun...
for the last couple of miles to our new house.
Finally!!!
We were pretty happy to be "home..."
and just as we promised, there was a bunny in the backyard waiting to greet Emily.
What I didn't remember there being... a lemon tree!!!
After exploring the house a little and kicking it outside for a few minutes we decided that everyone deserved a treat - no unloading and unpacking - 
we headed straight for the BEACH!!!!
Of course, our tired girl fell asleep on that short trip and was a little reluctant to hit the water.


Getting close didn't even work...
it was time to get serious!  (thanks Dad for the assistance)



And then, just like that...
our California girl was born!

Emily LOVES the beach and invited everyone to dip their toes in with her...
(okay, so she dipped more than her toes but we had a change of clothes)






We finished off our evening with dinner and a walk on the pier.
We had traveled over 1700 miles, seen a lot, experienced all kinds of new things, sweat, cried (or was that just me?), laughed, and bonded.  Thank you all for a great great trip!

11 comments:

  1. The final leg of your trip...certainly well worth the wait, for sure! I am so amazed by your ability to tell a story through photos, Allison, and this is my favorite post yet! I love the fountain and the In-N-Out stop and especially the beach trip to close out an great day and an even greater trip west. Emily is definitely a California girl but I'm sure her heart will always belong to Texas. Thanks so much for sharing this adventure with us. I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, what a great trip! Or at least that's how the pictures made it look! :) Glad you are finally there and settling in and making it home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to celebrate your new place in life!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures and post. I love the new start-up picture. Glad all is well!

    Love, Aunt Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say - it made me sad to see you pull up in your driveway! I knew that's what your trip's purpose was, but it didn't seem like you were really gone until I saw you guys in front of your house :( We miss you guys! I was also sad to see the California baby!! We want you to stay Texans!! But, I'm glad your trip was a success (and it looks like the table and heater were left behind - yay!!) Can't wait to see pictures of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous!! I totally LOVE those beach pictures!! Wishing I was there with you and missing you being here all at the same time (although, I didn't see that much of you when you were here...it was the idea of you being just down the street!) Great pics. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun trip!!! May your life in California be as fun, fruitful and happy as the trip there. Can't wait to come visit - kisses to Emily Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good way to end your long journey. Glad Emily finally warmed up to the ocean again. Wow! It's cold enough for jeans and a jacket? Also, glad you finally got your burger that you've been craving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to be so close to the beach! Emily will love growing up there like you did! Looks like a fun trip! I am glad it turned out so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic trip-ending post. Love that little California girl (both of you), but she'll always be a native Texan :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So looks like California took our Morris family from us here in Texas. California, enjoy this beautiful family and let them come back to visit! Not anytime real soon so you can get over all the traveling. Emily--you'll learn the Cali way from your mommy! We love and miss you dearly!
    Love,
    Miss

    ReplyDelete