.

Changes coming... see new posts below
and then follow me...
^that is a link

Monday, March 8, 2010

Sun! Warmth! Come Back!

Just as planned, we headed out to the zoo on Sunday with Daddy.  But, the unplanned part was the rain that showed up a day early.  It didn't stop us (and a few other people) and didn't dampen our spirits... we were well prepared.  
It didn't seem as though all of the animals were as happy to see us as we were to see them.
Emily was excited to find the tigers up and about this time around.  (When Emily talks about the animals at the zoo it is always, "elephants, tigers!" and last time they were laying out of sight.)
One of the tigers was interested in our umbrella...
VERY interested!
After checking out his teeth...
and paws...
we decided to move along and not mess around with the nice kitty.
Shortly after, we found the goats who were at full attention...
as bubble girl passed by.
The inside exhibits were fun to visit - especially the new reptiles and amphibians museum where Emily saw fish,
turtles,
SNAKES (oh boy did she see snakes),
and even turtles with gardens on their shells.
Unfortunately, Emily never did find the gharial.  
I have to say though, for me, the funniest part of the trip was the end when we went back to visit the orangutans.  Emily was released from her bubble and was enjoying seeing them up close.  In the first picture, Emily and Daddy are happily looking down at the orangutan playing around below.
Then, when he popped up in front of the window Emily was still looking down and Daddy got a close up view of him spitting some excrement out of his mouth onto the glass!!  (I am still laughing... hold on...) 
Okay, so anyway, Paul was totally disgusted and I feared he would vomit as the orangutan proceeded to play with it - smearing it on the glass - and eventually licking most of it off.  Emily had no idea what was going on and I am very proud of Paul for sitting there through it all and not alarming Emily (she was just having an up close encounter with a "monkey").  Plus, this next picture...
I will look at it any time I need to laugh.  Oh my, I almost wet my pants!!
...hold while I contain myself...
Emily and Daddy (for sure) were happy to move along...
saying one last farewell to the gorillas.
Seconds after these pics, this gorilla also "made" himself an afternoon "snack."  What was with the animals yesterday?!  I guess if they don't get a lot of visitors they try to make a lasting impression on the few they do see.
Regardless, we had a great time and Emily was able to have the last 15 minutes to roam free without any rain.
PS Don't be fooled by our outfits, we were not in London.  ;)

7 comments:

  1. I love that you braved the rain and had an "interesting" day at the zoo. I especially love the disgust photo of Paul (thank goodness Emily did not see what Daddy saw)! I'm laughing so hard in my office that people are staring. Hee, hee. And the stroller bubble is so cute and made for a nice, dry adventure for Emily. Hope things dry off for all of you very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HILARIOUS!!! Poor Paul! Jay would have felt exactly the same way and I would have been cracking up! I know what you mean about the animals showing off. Once we went to the zoo on a day it was supposed to be freezing and it ended up being just kinda cool and there weren't a lot of people there and the animals were up in your face and it seemed like they were even showing off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing OUT Loud! Love Paul's face in that picture! :) We haven't been to the zoo in ages. Your pictures make me want to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poo flinging monkeys!! I've always heard that about them but never have had the pleasure to witness it in person. Lucky Paul! Love the pic of his reaction. Wow! Y'all were prepared!Bubble and all. Glad y'all were able to enjoy it and get so many special performances from the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a frumpy gorilla for the beginning of your trip to the zoo! Glad things lightened up, including the weather. I love zoos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys were brave! We are fair weather Zoo visitors :)
    What a crazy tiger, I think he might have wanted your umbrella for his snack! Love the pictures with the sea turtles, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those zoo animals are very "in your face," huh? Emily seemed captivated by all of it!
    ~mimi

    ReplyDelete