.

Changes coming... see new posts below
and then follow me...
^that is a link

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Daddy's Owie

So, most/all of you know about Paul's surgery yesterday - right?  If not, he went in to have part of his L5 disc cut out because he had an 8mm herniation and it was pressing on the nerve causing a lot of pain and numbness.  Not good.
Anyway, on to the BIG day...
We arrived at the hospital at 5:30AM - Terry and Cindy met us at the hospital and Emily was left at home with Mimi.
His surgery was scheduled to begin at 7AM and I got a phone call around 8 in the family waiting room.  The volunteer did not make eye contact and held the phone out to me saying it was a surgery nurse.  Uhhh... would they tell me something terrible over the phone?!  When I turned around to return to my seat Terry was standing and Cindy was on the edge of her seat.  It was clear that the phone call unnerved all of us but ended up being a friendly report about how the surgery was underway, going according to plan, and that Paul was doing well.  Phew.
After a little while the surgeon came out to speak to us about how well everything went and tell us that Paul was in recovery.  After another hour, we were invited to meet him in his room... 
we arrived a bit earlier than him.
I wasn't permitted (by Paul) to take pictures of him so instead I took this one of the bed.  Note that it had to be extended so that he would fit.  They would have had to do that for me too.  ;)
Mostly he just slept all day...
but did wake up in the evening for some dinner and a little chatting.
Of course, I waited all day for him to wake up and request a big chocolate milkshake but hour after hour it didn't happen.  Finally, as the visiting hours were ending he asked if I would please go out and get some... yahoo!! 
After a visit from the PA this morning, Paul was released.  Emily was really excited to have him come home.  I ran in when I got home to grab her and while we waited for him and Grandpa to pull up she was saying, "Daddy, come here, home, please."  
She took him a few presents throughout the day -mostly sticker pictures...
and was really excited to wake up from nap and find a present for Daddy from his office...
with balloons.  Yahoo!!
Paul is feeling okay and has spent most of the day in bed - as directed - but did come out this evening.  Emily wanted to play with him so much and was holding his hand and asking him to walk with her.  She even got a little more gentle when I told her Daddy has an owie and can't walk too fast/can't be pulled.
The best news... Daddy can still read her books.  
Thank you to everyone for your prayers... we are very hopeful that Paul will heal well and quickly!

10 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! I'm so glad to see pictures of the big guy after surgery. Thank you for keeping those of us out of town in the loop. I'm so hoping this alleviates his pain and gives him less to think about. Kiss on your daddy Emily Rose we love you all - three of you!

    Aunt Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! He's recovreing quickly it looks like. Glad everything went well and that you got your milkshake. :)Those balloons look like so much fun for Emily! I know she's a climber but hopefully she'll restrain herself from climbing on daddy, at least for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Paul. Looks like having Emily Rose around sure does help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear everything went well. We were thinking about you guys! Emily will be pretty excited to have her daddy home for a few days I'll bet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, I thought we talked about you not being too active too soon! Get back to bed!

    Emily's sticker pictures are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad everything went well. I hope he continues to take it easy during his recovery. Good for him for obeying dr.'s orders so far!!! I know it can be hard. Keep us updated on his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that everything went fine and Paul is doing ok now. Hopefully this will end his pain. So sweet that Elimy is so gentle with Daddy and his owie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing worse that a herniated disc- so glad he got some help it! Emily is such a sweet nurse. How long is the recovery?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I can't believe he is already up and walking around a bit! Emily is such a sweetie, I bet Paul loved having her there to help him :). I hope the recovery continues to go smoothly for all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way, LOVE the photo of Emily in the header!

    ReplyDelete